Monday, September 29, 2014

Fashion Inspired by "You've Got Mail"

Fashion Inspired by "You've Got Mail"

"You've Got Mail" is my favorite movie. I love how charming and quaint it feels, and it's the perfect movie for a relaxing night at home. I think the best movies and TV shows feel like fall and have twinkle lights (which applies to "You've Got Mail" and "Gilmore Girls").

Kathleen Kelly is such an adorable character who is down-to-earth and easy to relate to. I love her simple, feminine style. It's so elegant and classy. After watching the movie again this weekend, I put together some outfits inspired by Kathleen.

"Don't you love New York in the fall?"
"Don't you love New York in the fall?" by ijustbeolivia 

The movie starts out in fall, which makes this feel-good movie even cozier. I love that Joe says he would send ShopGirl/Kathleen a "bouquet of sharpened pencils". Kathleen's style is casual but still feminine. She wears some slouchy cardigans over her skirts and tights. She also wears a simple black coat. These pieces are neutral and easy to wear in different combinations. The boots cater to the grungy feel of the cardigan, while the tailored purse goes well with the collared shirt. I added light pink nail polish because Kathleen isn't one to wear bright colors. The pieces in this look are timeless and could be worn by someone of any age.

"It will all shake out. Meanwhile, I'm putting up more twinkle lights."
"It will all shake out. Meanwhile, I'm putting up more twinkle lights." by ijustbeolivia

Kathleen wears a lot of simple shift dresses in the movie. I love this forest green shift dress with the black long sleeved shirt underneath it. It's unique and classy. The boots and tights polish the look off, and the gorgeous bag emphasizes the green in the dress. This is a great outfit for work, but it's still casual enough to wear on the weekend.

"All this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings."
"All this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings." by ijustbeolivia

The scene in which Joe brings Kathleen flowers when she's sick is so adorable. It's so sweet that you can tell that they're about to become friends. Her pajamas are cute, and of course, classic. I love that she wears a trench coat to answer the door. Her coat is another closet staple.

"Don't you think daisies are the friendliest flower?"
"Don't you think daisies are the friendliest flower?" by ijustbeolivia

You see Kathleen wear a lot of skirts and cardigans throughout the movie. In the spring, she wears linen and gauzy cardigans. She also wears a lot of simple white tees. True to form, she sticks to pretty neutrals and pastels. This khaki linen skirt goes perfectly with a light blue cardigan and tan accessories. I added some lovely blue nail polish (can you tell I like Essie brand?) This outfit formula is perfect for the transition from spring to summer or from summer to fall.

"I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly."
"I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly." by ijustbeolivia

The last scene of the movie is so sweet and perfect. I love the setting and music. Kathleen's outfit is adorable in that scene. She wears a simple linen dress and 3/4 sleeve cardigan. Sandals are the perfect match for this outfit, along with some taupe nail polish and a stylish tote bag. This linen dress is a wonderful day dress that could easily be worn with a lot of different cardigans and shoes.

What's your favorite scene from "You've Got Mail"?

The Deliberate Mom

6 comments:

  1. omg!! I love "you've got mail" and now you have made me want to watch it again. :) I love her clothes too and I love that you put these outfits together!! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faith!! I'm so glad you like this post! "You've Got Mail" is such a great movie! :)

      Delete
  2. Gah! I love "You've Got Mail" and you just reminded me I haven't seen it in forever. This is such a fun post; your choices are pretty much spot on. And oh, for the love of quotes, you picked some of my favorites. Thanks for sharing at the #SHINEbloghop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy!! "You've Got Mail" has so many great quotes! I was glad to be able to be a part of the #SHINEbloghop! :)

      Delete
  3. Love this! These outfits are great and so spot on with the movie. My favorite line is the end when they finally meet in the park after all is said done..."Don't cry, Shopgirl." Just love it! Thanks so much for sharing and linking up with the #SHINEbloghop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristy!! I love that line at the end of the movie, too! "You've Got Mail" is so quotable! :) I'm glad I was able to be a part of the linkup!

      Delete