Thursday, September 11, 2014

DIY Fabric Scrap Garland from Old Clothes

I've been wanting to make a garland for a while, and my bedroom window was begging for some decoration. I have a lot of old clothes lying around that I don't wear anymore, so I decided to use those to make fabric strips to tie onto my garland.

First, I decided on my color scheme. I love cool colors, so I went with blue, green, off-white, and gray.

Next, I found some twine to tie the fabric on. I had some thin twine, but I decided to use some thicker twine since the garland would be heavy. I suggest using thick twine or slim rope. Then, I looped each end and tied it in a knot so that the loop could hang on a nail.

Then, I cut the clothes into strips. This would be so much easier with fabric scissors, but I was able to use my paper scissors. I tried to keep the strips about one inch wide and eight inches long. The great thing about this type of DIY is that it's supposed to look rustic, so it's okay if it's imperfect.

I didn't try to estimate how many strips I would need, I just started out cutting about 5 strips from each piece of clothing and tying them on. Once I ran out of strips, I would cut more. It's not an exact science. :)



Next, I started tying the pieces onto the twine. I started at one end and kept tying until I got to the other end. I just did a simple knot once with each strip. I alternated the colors.

Once I had finished tying the strips on the whole garland, I was done! It was a fun, relaxing project. I love DIY decorations, especially when they use materials that I already have on hand. The best part was that I was able to upcycle some old clothes. This is perfect if you don't sew and don't have any fabric lying around.


What DIY decorations have you made for your home?


Included in the Southern Girl Blogging Community That's Fresh Friday linkup: http://www.thespeckledpalate.com/2014/09/11/southern-girl-blog-community-presents-thats-fresh-friday-link-42/

8 comments:

  1. Great job, these always look so fun! I'd love to try one of these someday. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Nicole =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! These are really fun! I'm glad you like it. :)

      Delete
  2. How simple is this? I would have thought it would take much more time and effort. I'm pinning and hope to make one of my own for an upcoming baby shower I'm hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! I love crafts that look like they took more time than they did :) This would be a great decoration for a baby shower! Good idea!

      Delete
  3. This is such a cute and festive idea! It would be great decor for a tailgate/football party!

    www.darlingdailyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ashliegh! Thank you! Making this for a football party is such a great idea! It would be fun to make one in the team colors. I'll have to remember that for the future! :)

      Delete